Turkey, Istanbul during coronavirus pandemic

”We do not foresee a second wave of the coronavirus in Turkey”

Health Minister says that work in Turkey’s hospitals is returning to normal levels prior to the coronavirus pandemic, of which only 36,000 active cases remain in the country.

Turkey’s Health Minister, Fahrettin Koca, surprised late Wednesday by announcing during a press conference in Ankara that the Turkish government does not foresee a second wave of coronavirus infections in the country, as some experts have warned.

We do not foresee a second wave,” Koca said in remarks made to the media, announcing the latest data on the evolution of the pandemic in Turkey, adding that the normalisation process continues as planned while insisting that precautionary measures be maintained.

“The fight (against the COVID-19 pandemic) will continue until the last case is registered,” the minister insisted, who also indicated that the level of work in Turkey’s hospitals is also returning to normal levels prior to the outbreak. “Our health institutions are returning to normal, as part of Turkey’s normalisation in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic,” said Koca.

Regarding the latest official data on the evolution of the coronavirus in Turkey, the minister explained that in the last 24 hours, 867 new positive cases had been detected out of more than 52,000 tests carried out, and that 24 deaths had been registered. The number of cured patients now exceeds 130,000, leaving only about 36,000 active cases in Turkey, while the total number of deceased amounts to 4,609.