USA, Mike Pompeo

United States is prepared to attack Turkey, says Pompeo

The United States Secretary of State gave a surprise by saying that Trump would be considering using military action against his NATO partner, if Turkey “crosses the line” in Syria.

The Secretary of State of the United States, Mike Pompeo, gave a surprise late on Monday with some unprecedented statements in which he assured that the government of President Donald Trump is “fully prepared” to take military action against his NATO partner, Turkey, if necessary.

Pompeo, who stressed that Washington prefers “peace to war” and makes use of its “diplomatic power,” added however that “in the event that a movement action or a military action is necessary, they should know that the President Trump is fully prepared to carry out that action “in case Turkey “crosses the line.

Without wanting to specify what type of line he was referring to, the Secretary of State simply said that he did not want to intervene in Trump’s decisions. “I do not want to interfere with the President’s decision on whether to carry out the immense task of using the military might of the United States,” Pompeo said.

It is not the first time that Trump threatens to take action against Turkey for the offensive launched on October 9th in northern Syria against the YPG, the Syrian branch of the PKK – which Washington recognises as a terrorist group – but at the same time the main US ally in the region in the fight against Daesh. However, until now Trump had talked about sanctions or “destroying the Turkish economy,” not military actions.

Last week, US Vice President Mike Pence and Pompeo himself travelled to Ankara, where both governments agreed that Turkey would suspend its operation for 5 days in exchange for the withdrawal of the YPG from a 30-kilometre strip along the border with Turkey, and the lifting of some of the trade sanctions imposed on Ankara by the United States, which also prohibited the entry of three Turkish ministers into the country.