Did Gülen orchestrate the coup in Turkey with the help of the USA?

Turkish minister accuses US of being behind the failed 2016 coup

Turkish Interior Minister says there is evidence that the US supported Gülen in the 2016 coup, and that orchestrated the 1960 and 1980 coups.

Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu has once again stoked tensions with the United States after accusing this country of being behind the failed coup that took place on July 15, 2016 in Turkey – which left 252 dead and thousands of wounded – as well as previous military pronouncements in the country during the Cold War, accusations that the US State Department has been quick to call “completely false.”

FETÖ (the terrorist group led by Fethullah Gülen) was not the only actor behind the (coup) of July 15, the US was also behind,” Soylu said in statements made on Wednesday to the Haber Global network during an interview. The following day, Thursday, the minister reaffirmed himself in his words and assured to the well-known Turkish newspaper Hürriyet that the organisation led by the Islamic cleric Gülen had followed orders from Washington.

“It is clearly evident that the United States was behind July 15,” insisted Soylu, underlining that only one day after the failure of the coup attempt he had already said that it had been organised from the White House. “And Europe was enthusiastic about the idea,” added the minister, recalling that the EU took several days to condemn the military uprising.

“We learned that the United States was behind the coup of 1960 years after the military coup after having access to British documents. We learned that the United States was also behind the 1980 coup d’état as a result of the phrase ‘Our boys have done it!’ “, Soylu explained referring to a message sent to Washington by the head of the CIA headquarters in Ankara, Paul Henze, shortly after the military carried out the bloody coup in Turkey on September 12, 1980.

Gülen infiltrated in Turkey with the help of the United States

The Interior Minister went on to explain that after taking his office in August 2016, a month after the failure of the coup, he realised that members of Gülen’s organisation (FETÖ) had infiltrated Turkish institutions wherever the United States had enough influence to help them.

Soylu went further and further and accused the United States of having provided protection to FETÖ members who participated in the failed coup, pressuring Interpol to dismiss the international arrest warrants issued by the Turkish authorities. “They rejected hundreds of applications,” underlined the minister, who acknowledged that Turkey is no longer resorting to Interpol to capture fugitives accused of participating in the coup due to its inaction.

The Turkish authorities accuse the Islamist cleric Fethullah Gülen, who lives in a huge mansion in Pennsylvania (United States), of being behind the failed coup in 2016, and has since repeatedly asked the US government to extradite the leader of that religious movement – which for years infiltrated Turkish institutions, including the military, judges and prosecutors – in order to be tried in Turkey for his crimes.

However, despite all the documentation and evidence submitted by the Turkish government, neither the administration of Barack Obama nor that of Donald Trump has ever even detained or interrogated Gülen, despite the fact that Turkey and the US have a bilateral extradition treaty since 1979. In 2019, several intelligence reports warned of the risk that Gülen might flee to another country to avoid being tried for his role in the failed 2016 coup.