Turkey, mine detected in the Black Sea

Turkey suspects that mines were released in the Black Sea “deliberately”

Ankara is investigating whether the sea mines released during the Ukraine-Russia war were released to implicate Turkey and NATO.

Turkey suspects that the sea mines drifting in the Black Sea and seriously endangering the transit of ships through the region, were released “deliberately” to force NATO minesweepers to enter the waters of this sea, which bathes the Turkish coasts but also those of Russia and the Ukraine.

As published yesterday by the Turkish newspaper Hürriyet, during a meeting held a few days ago with members of the executive of Erdoğan’s AKP party, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar stated that “we have doubts about whether the mines have been released intentionally. They may have been released as part of a plan to get NATO minesweepers into the Black Sea.”

“We don’t know who released the mines in the Black Sea. They are Russian-made, but we are investigating which country released them. There are reports that there are about 400 mines (in the Black Sea). We have spoken with the Bulgarian and Romanian authorities, and they are also monitoring,” Akar said.

According to the minister, the plan would seek to pressure Turkey to open the straits to the passage of warships, but Ankara is determined to keep transit through the Bosphorus and the Dardanelles closed, applying the Montreux Convention. “We are going to comply with the Montreux protocols. We will not let warships enter the Black Sea. We will not allow the Black Sea to be drawn into war,” insisted Turkey’s top defence official.

Part of Turkey’s suspicions that the mines were released in the Black Sea deliberately, according to Akar, would come from the fact that these mines normally deactivate themselves when released from the cable; however, what the Turkish authorities have observed is that such a security system is not present in the mines found and deactivated so far. “Therefore, they could have been left that way on purpose. We continue investigating,” added the minister.