Fenerbahçe, goal and victory

Fenerbahçe comes back and keeps race for Super League

Fenerbahçe managed to overcome a goal against in the last match played against Başakşehir, and is only 2 points behind Beşiktaş.

Fenerbahçe managed to prevail in the last match of the 35th week of the Turkish Super League played on Sunday night against last season’s champion, Medipol Başakşehir, and is confirmed as the only one who seems to be able to maintain the race for the leadership of the league, which continues to lead Beşiktaş.

Ömer Ali Şahiner scored the first goal of the match played at the Fatih Terim stadium after 18 minutes, when he went into the right wing and with a powerful left-footed shot he launched the ball from outside the area, beating Tekin and establishing 1-0 for the home team.

Before the first half ended, however, Fener’s Hungarian defender Attila Szalai deftly positioned himself under the goal during a Caner‘s corner kick in the 40th minute, and pushed the ball into the back of the net to tie the game before half-time.

Later in the second half, the Greek Dimitris Pelkas received a pass from Tufan in the area and, from a corner on it, launched a powerful shot that crossed the entire area diagonally and sneaked into the rival goal despite the desperate attempt of Volkan Babacan, establishing the 1-2 for the Yellow Canaries.

Başakşehir was left with one player less and missed a penalty

Only 3 minutes after Pelkas’s goal, Başakşehir was left with one less player when Mahmut Tekdemir received his second yellow card for pushing and knocking down the Ecuadorian Enner Valencia during an absurd dispute to see who got the ball.

It was Tekdemir’s own teammates who quickly lifted Valencia and tried to take the issue away, but it was too late, and protests from the Turkish midfielder chasing the referee didn’t help him much either.

Even so, the locals had their chances to tie the game, and in 88th minute they lost a golden chance when Tekin knocked down Norwegian Fredrik Gulbrandsen in the area as he approached the goal alone, and the referee signalled a penalty. The one in charge of the maximum penalty was the Bosnian Edin Visca, but his shot was perfectly stopped by Harun Tekin.

With this result, Fenerbahçe has 69 points and maintains the race for this year’s Super League title, placing only 2 points behind Beşiktaş, who drew against Ankaragücü although they still have a less disputed match. Galatasaray, for its part, beat İzmir’s Göztepe 3-1 at home thanks to a hat-trick by Kerem Aktürkoğlu, and is still 3rd with 65 points, with only 7 games remaining for the end of this season.

Results of the 35th week of the Super League

Gençlerbirliği 2 – 3 Demir Grup Sivasspor

İttifak Holding Konyaspor 0 – 0 Hes Kablo Kayserispor

Beşiktaş 2 – 2 MKE Ankaragücü

Fraport TAV Antalyaspor 2 – 3 Çaykur Rizespor

Yukatel Denizlispor 2 – 3 Büyükşehir Belediye Erzurumspor

Trabzonspor 1 – 1 Atakaş Hatayspor

Helenex Yeni Malatyaspor 1 – 0 Aytemiz Alanyaspor

Göztepe 1 – 3 Galatasaray

Gaziantep FK 2 – 2 Kasımpaşa

Medipol Başakşehir 1 – 2 Fenerbahçe